As a trucker, you probably enjoy being on the open road. What’s more freeing than traveling around the country and following that white line into the sunset? However, even the happiest and most experienced drivers can feel homesick at times. While it can be rewarding, it’s also a job that requires you to be away from your family for long periods of time. Luckily, there are many ways to get creative and make your cab a home on wheels —just like it should be!
How to Make Your Cab a Home
You spend so much of your time in your truck, so why not take the time to make it feel cozy? You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars to make your cab a home. Just a few simple changes can completely transform your rig into the perfect space for you!
The easiest way to customize your truck is to add personal touches. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Adding your favorite color to the inside of your cab can boost your mood instantly! You can easily incorporate color by replacing your floormats and seat covers.
- Does your truck have curtains? Installing some will make your cab feel homier and also help you get a better night’s sleep!
- It’s a good idea to invest in an inverter—especially if you’re bringing several electronics on the road with you! Hooking up a TV or a stereo system is a great way to have some fun during your downtime.
- If you’re into reading, bring some magazines or books with you. They’ll make you feel more relaxed, and who knows, you may learn something too!
- The most important part of a home is the bedroom, and you shouldn’t settle for less just because you’re on the road. Rest is incredibly important for truck drivers, so invest in some heavenly high thread-count sheets and add some personality with unique bedding!
- Add your personality to your space by hanging decorations like small pictures and posters. Every home them and yours should, too!
- Most truckers think they’ll have to give up home cooking, but this is not true! Start a mini kitchen by buying items like a refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, and a coffee pot. Just because you’re on the go doesn’t mean you can’t have a hot meal!
Don’t Compromise Because You’re On the Road
It doesn’t take much effort to make your cab a home. Just think about what makes you feel at home and then add those touches to your truck! You’re more likely to enjoy your time out on the road if your environment is comfortable and personalized. A little can go a long way, so it doesn’t have to be an expensive project. So, start to think about any minor adjustments you can make to your rig to make it a more enjoyable living space. This should make your life a little easier when you’re far from your actual home.
Just because you are a company driver or you don’t own your truck doesn’t mean you can’t personalize your rig! There’s no need to worry. All of the ideas we’ve discussed above are not permanent so they can be removed at any time. Just think of yourself as a renter on wheels. As long as what you’re adding doesn’t damage anything, it’s fine!
What are some of your favorite ways to make your cab a home? Do you think we need to add more to our list? How do you avoid feeling homesickness? We’d love to hear from you, so talk to us in the comments below!