Fall is in full bloom and winter is on the way. They say it’s the most wonderful time of the year; the weather is cooler, the leaves are filled with beautiful reds and oranges, the holidays are on their way, and – achoo! It’s Flu Season.
Most people don’t think of the flu as more than miserable and inconvenient, but the Center for Disease Control estimates that about 200,000 people end up hospitalized with flu related symptoms each year in the United States, and those traveling are especially susceptible to the flu virus. But have no fear travelin’ truckers, there are plenty of simple things you can do to help fight off the flu on the road this season. Here are 5 tips for avoiding the flu virus.
1. Wash Your Hands. Every stop make sure your scrubbing those hands clean. As a trucker, we’re constantly in and out of new places, and you never know who touched that doorknob before you, or the last time it was cleaned. An easy alternative to hand washing is alcohol based hand sanitizer. If you’re in a situation when you can’t wash your hands and you don’t have hand sanitizer, avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes! Your hygiene during this time of the year has a lot to do with keeping you happy, healthy and on the road.
2. Keep Your Surroundings Clean. It’s that easy guys, just clean up the cab of your truck every now and then, and that means vacuuming and disinfecting as well. A good cleaning can help kill off any germs that manages to slip into your truck after your last bathroom break or food stop, so take some time every week to clean up the cab.
3. Avoid Others Who are Sick. You’d think common sense would come into play when people are feelin’ the wrath of the flu, and they’d stay home, but that’s not usually the case. At some point, whether it happens during your delivery or at a rest stop, you’re sure to come across someone who should’ve stayed home that day. Be mindful and try not to get too close; and again, make sure to wash your hands if you happen to shake the wrong person’s hand.
4. Be Healthy. A healthy body fights off the flu a lot more gracefully than an unhealthy body. So take the necessary precautionary measures and make sure you’re eating a balanced diet and getting exercise when you can. Fruits like blueberries and raspberries are a good snack choice because they’re filled with antioxidants. The right foods are filled with all the vitamins and nutrients that will help your body combat the Flu when you come into contact with it.
5. Get Vaccinated. It’s not just for babies and older people, and getting a flu shot is truly the best way to keep yourself away from the virus this season. Flu shots are inexpensive and available at almost all drug stores without appointments. If you’re passing by a CVS, Walgreens or urgent care center, stop in and get vaccinated.
This flu season, don’t be the person everyone secretly hates because they won’t stop sniffling, and save your sleeves from that never-ending runny nose (and don’t say you don’t do that… because everyone does it), and use these five easy tips to avoid the flu!