Which CDL License Type Is For You?

Rate this post

It’s time to play AllTruckJobs’ favorite game, “Which CDL License Type Is For You?” (Que the cheesy music and confetti). We’re set to play America’s favorite game where we figure out which type of CDL license is the best fit. With a variety of different trucking jobs and experiences, it’s important to apply for the correct license to suit your needs. Unlike a driver’s license, there are a variety of different CDL’s that cover different areas of trucking. Some have weight, travel, and cargo restrictions, so it’s necessary to know which CDL license type will match what kind of trucking you plan on doing. Now, let’s play…

Which CDL License Type is for You?

I Want to Put the BIG Back in Big Rig

You say want to be able to handle the biggest cargo loads? You’ll probably need CDL License Type A to suit your needs. With a Class A CDL, drivers can operate vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds and a rear portion, or trailer weighing more than 10,000 pounds. In other words, if you want to carry the heaviest loads, a license type A is good for you. You’ll need to take a written test as well as a hands-on skills test to get your certification, so make sure you’re choosing the right school to teach you all you need to know. This license will also allow you to operate license type B and C vehicles as well.

I Want to Drive Trucks Within My State

That’s no problem. There are plenty of truckers that prefer to stay within their home state. Balancing family and a life on the road can be tough, so figuring out a way to stay within the state while trucking can be a great career choice. For this type of career, a license type B will be your best bet. Getting a Class B License will allow drivers to operate commercial vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds, although the towed portion must weigh less than 10,000 pounds. For drivers who specialize in intrastate “short hauls” or “commercial deliveries, ” a Class B CDL is an adequate license type. You may also operate license type C vehicles as well.

I Want to Drive Trucks Across Country

Again, the CDL license type that is right for you is going to be a type A license type. This license will allow you to travel across state lines hauling the maximum weight allowed. As long as you’re over the age of 21, you can apply for a type A drivers license. Explore all that the U.S. has to offer as you take a long haul gig. Heck, lets AllTruckJobs find you the perfect assignment to jumpstart your trucking career. The only thing to consider is what special endorsements or restrictions may apply to these other vehicle types in your state. For truckers looking to drive on interstate highways, a Class A CDL is the standard.

I Want to Drive a School Bus

Actually, school buses, as well as a variety of other vehicles are not actually covered under a CDL license. Of course, a CDL will not cover all of the many types of vehicles out there — those designed for military, emergency, construction, funeral services, food delivery, agricultural or recreational purposes are not likely to fall under a commercial licensing. Again, this is something that each individual state works with the FMCSA to agree on. Make sure to research exactly the type of registrations and requirements needed to drive these various vehicles.

Author: Troy Diffenderfer

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *